NWP model profile data
As NWP models develop and improve, the NWP SAF periodically produces datasets containing sample profiles of atmospheric variables extracted from the models. The sample profiles are chosen to encapsulate normal conditions, typical variability and the extremes of the model’s behaviour in a very compact form. The datasets are intended for use by researchers who require collections of representative model atmospheres for statistical training or testing of applications (e.g. radiative transfer models).
The datasets made available here have been created using the ECMWF IFS. More details on the sampling strategy and on usage are available in the documentation for each particular dataset.
As NWP models develop and improve, the NWP SAF periodically produces a dataset of vertical profiles of atmospheric variables which aim to represent the full spectrum of meteorological situations that can occur in the (model) atmosphere.
137L profile datasets:
- Documentation for 137L profiles and definitions of model levels
- Notes on correction to the NWP-SAF 137-level proﬁle dataset (dated 23/05/2016)
- Diverse 137L profile dataset from ECMWF: 137L model fields and associated surface variables
91L profile datasets:
- Documentation for 91L profiles and definitions of model levels
- Diverse 91L profile dataset from ECMWF: 91L model fields and associated surface variables
- 83 profile subset of profile dataset above interpolated onto 101 levels here.
- Documentation for 60L profiles and definitions of model levels
- Diverse 52 profile dataset from ECMWF 60L model profiles (0.35 Mb) & associated surface variables (5 Kb)
- ECMWF 60L profile datasets from model fields and documentation
60L atmospheric composition datasets: